Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sea plane on Lough Derg



There are plans for sea planes on the lakes and coasts of Ireland. Harbour Air are hoping to fly into Mountshannon on Lough Derg, which has caused some concern among boaters and anglers. How would regular flights affect water craft and fishing from boats? An email came into my Inbox. 'I went to the demo yesterday' it began, and I thought of placards. 'I understand there was a protest by some anglers' it said in the next paragraph, and referred to the Garda presence. The demo went on from 11am to late afternoon. This was more serious than I'd expected.

It was only in paragraph three that I read how the demo had been given in a three-passenger plane. The queues were for people wanting a spin around the lake in something that looked like an Airfix model run on rubber bands. It would be wasted on me. I'd have my eyes closed the whole time. I imagine it would be like being trapped in a cable car that had made a bid for freedom. Appalling.

No comments:

Post a Comment